Monday, March 5, 2012

Finally internet access!!

Well it has been an eventful first week in Kenya. We arrived in Nairobi on the 26th at around 11pm only to find one of my bags never made it to Kenya but thankfully it was the one filled with donations so I still had all of my clothes. Our professor from UK who used to live in Kenya was waving at us excitedly as we exited the airport. It was nice to see a friendly face after travelling for 24 hours. That night we slept at a guesthouse in Nairobi.
ch
The next morning, Christina, Stefanie, Sam (our professor), and Roy (works with New Hope International who funded the eye surgeries) all got up early to meet the eye surgerybteam from Tenwek Hospital so we could head to the Samburu region which was about 14 hours drive through very rough roads. The Samburu tribe is related tot the Maasai tribe but they were pushed farther north separating families. They live far in the bush in a very desert area where they survive by herding goats. They have very little water which Roy has been working to fix by drilling 7 wells so far for them.

We were unable to drive all of the way because we are not allowed to drive after 6pm because it is too dangerous on the roads. We stopped in Nanyuki for the night and this is where my nightmares came alive. Christina and I were placed in a cottage which seemed perfectly quaint at the beginning of the night, but after dinner I noticed a spider in the porch. Now if any of you really know me, then you know I dont handle spiders very well. Christina convinced me to run inside the cottage past the spider, only to find the inside was infested with even larger spiders. As Christina attempted to kill one spider after another, i curled up in the fetal position on the bed and started crying in a full blown panic attack. I am talking about fist size hairy monsters. She realizes she sees a new one every time she kills one.

At this time, I am trying to unlock our complicated door to run for my life and I hear our professor outside and I just start wailing "Powdrill!!!!!!"and he comes to our rescue. He realizes that you cant kill all of the spiders and takes us to the front desk to get a spider free room. Christina took a picture of one of the spiders and showed one of the Kenyan nurses who told us it was poisonous and would affect the nerves, so yes I can say my panic attack was justified and I swear Ialmost died!!

I will fill you in tomorrow on the rest of the weekwith the Samburu tribe!!

2 comments:

  1. Pictures - - - pictures - - - we need PICTURES!!!!

    So glad you are getting to do this.

    BTW - I NEVER comment any more on blogs that have word verification (especially this nasty new TWO WORD kind) but I'll do it this ONCE just for you.

    How about you take OFF the word veri and put on comment moderation - - - that will keep out spam and ALL your commenters will thank you.

    I bet you get MORE commenters too.

    (If you have trouble doing it in the "new" blogger, just click over to the old - - - its real easy there. Settings, Comments, settings, scroll down to the word veri choice and click NO.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. My skin is crawling after reading about the spiders!!!

    ReplyDelete